Saturday, August 14, 2004

No Single Men, Thank You!

So I finally decided to go out for a few drinks with a couple of buds from the office on Friday night. We went down the the local mall(s) and started scouting for a decent pub/bar. The first mall we went to had two pubs that I knew of. One of them I'd already been to last weekend so we skipped that one. The second one was booked for a private party. So we went to the mall across the street. The only club here was couples only so they wouldn't let us in. SO, we went to a third mall, and were again struck down by a couples only night club. Finally ended up at this weird naval (no, not the one in the tummy!) themed bar called Odyssey.

The place looked okay, and the drinks were close to decent, but what really struck me was how hard it is to have a guys night out in this town! I mean we were three decent guys just looking for a couple of drinks a piece, and we had to walk around looking for a place for a good half hour. And the place we eventually did find was way too quiet. I'd like to see more noisy, open British style pubs in this city. Not closed off, snooty, couples only joints whose only credibility stems from their stupid exclusivity. The real stinker came when I asked the waiter what the loud music upstairs was (I had assumed it was another private party upon seeing that the staircase was roped off). He said it was a night club. I asked if it would be fine if we walked up and checked the place out (still thinking it was a private party). To this he replied that the place upstairs was COUPLES ONLY!!!

Maybe I do need to get into a relationship with a homo sapien of the opposite sex. God knows its about time! But all things said and done, this city's a cruel place for a single guy. More so for a poor nerdy software engineer like yours truly! Ahhhh...shucks....there's always my PS2 to keep me company :)

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:36 PM, August 15, 2004  
Blogger Arun said...

Ahh...my evian drinking naive friend. That was not a review, it was an indictment of this city's single men hating culture.

8:50 PM, August 15, 2004  
Blogger Unknown said...

what if someday PS2 says only 2 players can play this game and one of them should be a chixor :D

and u removed my last comment :(

3:36 AM, August 19, 2004  
Blogger Unknown said...

Holy crap, you have that problem in India too? Here in Hartford, CT, the problem we run into as single men is that the single women are all fresh out of college and dumb as rocks. I have to go to New York or Boston to meet women with a brain and a body.

5:27 PM, August 21, 2004  
Blogger Arun said...

So its an international problem then! Anyway, my problem was that me and my friends were coming straight out of the office, and really, all we wanted was a guys night out. I was in the UK a while back, and this sort of thing would've been MUCH easier with the decent pub culture there. Unfortunately, Delhi doesn't have much of a pub culture. Even the outlets that mascarade as pubs are really COUPLES ONLY clubs. Stupid, really!

3:48 AM, August 22, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude this shit happens all the time, you just have to find a place thats decent and allows guys. Btw I do know of some places like these that arent that bad. Moreover the best bet is to visit a place couple of times and get friendly with the manager. So next time you have a prob getting into the place you just call the manager and he lets you in!.
Oh! I hope you've heard of a stranger rule where only couple are allowed on the dance floor.

Andy

12:50 AM, August 24, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://arunjeetsingh.blogspot.com/2004/03/i-hereby-annoint-myself-king-of.html

I couldnt post a reply to the above post, tell me something how did you time the speed of the code?? do let me know.

Andy

1:17 AM, August 24, 2004  
Blogger Arun said...

I actually used a built-in performance logging component that we have in our project. But you should be able to use a lot of the ready made profilers that are out there. You might want to try a trial of AQtime for starters.

The tool we have is really simple, it simply takes the class name and method name to start logging the time. It pushes this down a hashtable and keep tracks of the number of times that class name, method name combination is hit and how much time it took on each hit. The responsibility of informing the component that a logged method has started/stopped executing is on the method itself. I'd use code like:
PerformanceLogger.Start(className, methodName)
//method code
PerformanceLogger.End(className, methodName)

I put these lines into all the database/xml access methods and got back a file containing the cumulative and individual time spent by the processor in that method.

9:12 PM, August 24, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home