Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Spiderman 2 goes the way of the Chicken Chowmein

I saw something very cool on MTV today. They're adding an Urdu song by the band Strings to the Spiderman 2 soundtrack. We're beginning to do to Hollywood flicks what we've done so long with Chinese food, localizing it to our taste. Not that this is a bad thing of course, I think this is excellant. You can read more about this here. The number's called Na jaane kyun (literally translated, "don't know why") and is quite good. My problem is that it is a typical Strings number, melodious and long-stretched vocal wise (remember Duur??). I would've thought a band like Junoon or even Parikrama could've come up with something that had a little more bite, suited the theme more. Anyway, this is a good thing so I won't bash it too much. I'm just hoping that Spidey 2 and its soundtrack do well so that this trend can continue. By the way, the song is not on the international soundtrack of the movie (I checked imdb), but that can't be too far along.

Some more music news. Emma Bunton's latest album FREE ME just came out in India. The album had been doing reasonably well in the UK while I was there. The mojor development is that Emma Bunton's gone HOT with this album. She ain't no baby spice no more. I personally like the sound of the album too. It's got that airy, echoey 80s pop feel about it. Think Bangles, Cindi Lauper, Culture Club. The lyrics aren't too brainy either, but the album is okay to pass some time. I know I might be putting myself up for a few brickbats by praising a former spice girl for anything other than her ahemm...aesthetic assets, but I happen to like this sort of music, what can I do?

Also caught a new advert starring Amitabh Bacchan (for those of you who don't know, he's only the biggest, most famous star in Indian cinema). The ad starts out well, he's talking about his film career and the difficulties he faced, and how satisfying its been. And then he begins talking about what helped get through it all. That's when he stands up and pisses all over his credibility. Can you guess what he's selling?? It's Navratan tel, a third grade, cheap, crappy hair oil. C'mon man!! How important can money be to you? I seriously doubt he ever uses the product himself, and by doing this sort of thing, he's throwing away the little credibility he has left with the current generation. In fact, even the way he speaks now sounds practiced and put on. I mean, I know he had a heavy voice up until around the time he was 40, but after that he probably started losing it. And now I just know that the way he speaks on screen is not what he sounds like in real life. I mean common, who does he think he's fooling! Its just sad to see such great people grow old so ungracefully. Now I know how Ronald Reagen's admirers felt when he got sick with Alzheimer's and couldn't even remember his speeches anymore.

1 Comments:

Blogger sam said...

I really think he has enough money NOT to do navratan tel at the very fucking least. I mean, if i could I'd pay him not to do that. detestation of his agent ensues.

1:31 AM, August 02, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home