Sunday, October 23, 2005

Is Chetan Bhagat "Inspired"?

Right, so I'm reading this book called "One night @ the call center" by Chetan Bhagat. Chetan is one of those rare Indian authors who writes in English, but whose target audience actually are English speakers living in India. Unlike your Rushdie or Arundhati Roy (or V.S. Naipaul and countless others of that ilk), he does not concentrate on the side of India that the average Indian just does not encounter that often. Which is to say, he is an Indian author who writes like an Indian author and refrains from adopting the condescending western attitude that one sees in the writings of the aforementioned authors. Whats even better however is that this guy's books are actually priced low enough to be affordable to most of India's reading public.

With that last paragraph, I hope to firmly establish that I like what Chetan's doing and would definitely like to see more writing like his. However, the reason I wrote up this post is because I found something quite startling in the book. Around page 161, some of the characters in the book decide to play a game called "radio jockey". What goes on after that is almost an exact recreation of this real life event (happened on Andy Savage's show) that became something of an urban legend on the Internet a few years ago. Now what I want to know is that whether or not there is a game called "radio jockey" or if Chetan's just been "inspired" by Andy Savage's show. Can anybody out there answer that? Because if he has picked up this scenario just to incorporate it into his story, I think he ought to at least acknowledge the fact that it is something that actually happened. I don't write a lot of fiction (come to think of it, I don't think I've written any at all) and I don't know what the ethical and moral constraints are when one fictionalizes a real life incident like this, so I'd like someone to tell me if what he's done was indeed the right thing to do.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All fiction is inspired dude. You see and hear incidents all around you and then write. If I am writing funny stuff, I will write bout you as we have shared a lot of funny stuff over the years :)

Still remember Andy Savage. Picked it up from Tasveer BBS :)

10:39 PM, October 23, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being inspired from an incident and not mentioning it in clear words cannot get him in any trouble. Come to think of it, most writers are inspired from what happens around them (I am not talkingf of likes of Gaiman and Douglas right now). In this case, however, he has picked up an incident that most remember. But I don't think one can hold it against him. How is the book otherwise?

7:35 AM, October 24, 2005  
Blogger Arun said...

The book is actually an entertaining read. Although I do think the quality of prose has slipped since five point someone. Definitely worth taking along on a trip, but not something worth a reread.

About the inspiration part though, I was just wondering out loud whether he ought to acknowledge that the incident in the book isn't entirely his creation. This is different from the use of a premise (call center) or a place (Gurgaon) however. Becasue when one fictionalizes a real life incident verbatim like that, there is a chance that one might introduce a distortion. I'm not too sure about this either, so I'll just leave it at that. I suppose it'll make a nice conversation piece over munchies sometime.

11:58 AM, October 24, 2005  
Blogger mayank said...

I am a crazed Rushdie fan. I don't think Chetan Bhagat is of his ilk because Salman Rushdie beats everybody else in the artistry of his writing. But I don't mean that Chetan doesn't write well.

9:02 AM, October 25, 2005  
Blogger Arun said...

I don't think Rushdie would be particularly thrilled to know he has a "crazed" fan :). Jokes aside, I wasn't dissing Rushdie. I have read some of his work and I do think he writes well. All I'm saying is, his perspective is not my perspective. He sees India in a way most foreigners do, which makes him uniquely suited to interpretting India for them. Unfortunately, thats not really what I need. Chetan Bhagat on the other hand writes with the assumption that the reader is an Indian and I think its about time we got more authors like him. In terms of pure writing quality, I concede that Rushdie is definitely the better of the two. However, great novels aren't always great writing. If you doubt me, go read Ulysses by James Joyce.

11:39 AM, October 25, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think he just picked up on something he had heard in college. The .wav recording of the radio show was quite a popular email forward some years back. Man must've thought it was just one of those experiences he had in college, and used it outright.

Should've had a thanks to page in the end, methinks.

9:55 PM, November 02, 2005  
Blogger Arun said...

Exactly my point! Although I still don't know whether he's broken some sort of rule/convention by not having the thank you page. It just appears wrong to take a real-life incident like that and to transpose it onto your characters. At least one ought to admit it has actually happened. Anyway, I'm sure Chetan's not losing much sleep over this.

8:08 AM, November 03, 2005  
Blogger kumarldh said...

I agree with this line.
"Chetan Bhagat on the other hand writes with the assumption that the reader is an Indian and I think its about time we got more authors like him." Arjun.
I quote others as they have already quoted me.

1:03 AM, February 11, 2006  
Blogger Arun said...

Glad that you agree, but who's this "Arjun"??l

4:22 AM, February 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home