Monday, June 13, 2005

Closer

Sometimes an experience, a song, a vision or a person can just take hold of your senses and refuse to let go. Its not the same for everybody or with everything, but it does happen to all of us every once in a while. A couple of months ago when I'd just moved into my rented accomodation and was feeling a bit lonely, I decided to watch one of the DVDs I'd brought along when I came from India. The movie I was going to watch was Closer. Now I'll admit that the primary reason I stared to watch it was because I saw Natalie Portman on the cover. But as soon as I started the movie, I was captivated by the title number. Its a song called Blower's Daughter by a guy called Damien Rice. Now I haven't the faintest clue what Blower's Daughter means, but when you listen to this song and then watch the movie, you realize that it is a perfect marriage of music and imagery.

After that day, the song had been playing my head non-stop for over 2 months. I watched the movie again today and felt exactly the same things I did the first time. Can't quite explain it, but what I can say is that it would be pretty hard to find someone who isn't moved by this very human story. I defy you to watch the movie with someone you care about, I defy you to not feel the desparation that Clive Owen feels when he tries talking to Natalie Portman in a strip club and finally, I defy you to explain what you feel for Natalie Portan's character. Go watch this movie, and tell me if it moves you the way its moved me.

4 Comments:

Blogger sam said...

You have to see Garden State, dude. Natalie Portman. Intense characters. Sweet and poignant. Deeply resonant music. 'nuff said.

2:49 AM, June 17, 2005  
Blogger Arun said...

On my list. Now if only the video rental across the road has a copy.

12:34 PM, June 17, 2005  
Blogger mayank said...

Well Natalie is amazing.......!She's come a long way from being that stupid princess in Star Wars

8:36 AM, June 24, 2005  
Blogger Arun said...

Yeah, she is nice, isn't she? Anyway, don't dis star wars man. I know ep. 4 and 5 were crap, but they were still better than some of the other so called "science fiction" you see churned out. I mean, look at the crap that Vin Diesel's done!

12:17 PM, June 24, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home