Monday, January 09, 2006

Bitter Sweet Comedy

Ever notice how all the really good comedies have a bitter person as one of their main characters? Well I have. Let me give you some examples:
Friends: Chandler
Seinfeld: George
Becker: well Becker of course!

Chandler stopped being bitter in Friends after he paired up with Monika, but that when the show went downhill for me (and I know people who'll agree). The only exception I can think of is comedies that are sexual in nature. Coupling, for example and this Hindi comedy that used to air on Zee TV when it first started. Weird I know, but we just seem to enjoy the sour pusses knock the wind out of the goody two shoes. Maybe its because we've all felt like that at one point or another in our lives.

Another thing thats really been bugging me lately is the severe lack of traffic police on Delhi's roads. Anybody else notice that? Where did all the coppers go anyway? Of course, Delhi's traffic, the wild beast that it is, is taking full advantage of this. Nobody seems to care about traffic signals anymore. Earlier, it used to be just the SUV/People carriers, now its everybody! Lane driving never really arrived in this city, probably because most lanes are painted wrong, but the new trend in lawlessness is definitely something new to me. People switch to the wrong side of the road on a heartbeat. Trust me, its not comforting to look at an 8 wheeler heading your way, headlights on high beam, when you THINK you're the one on the right side of the road. Maybe I've just been away too long. I don't know what it is, but to me it certainly looks like that Delhi's becoming more and more cruel as a city.

10 Comments:

Blogger mayank said...

driving at night when everybody glares your eyes, it's terrible for people like me who are just begining to drive.

1:17 PM, January 09, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

i put off the high beam on my car when the car coming towards me has its high beam on :D

6:53 PM, January 09, 2006  
Blogger Arun said...

To be honest, some of this high beam driving is the fault of the electricity companies. Many stretches on Delhi roads just don't have street lighting. At other times, you're going through an area during a power cut.

Having said that however, I don't understand why people can't switch on high beam for these stretches and switch back to low beam when they get into a well lit area. Its about as straightforward as switching on the indicator. AND it guarantees your lights last longer! I think the Delhi drivers are becoming more and more inconsiderate of what they do to others. It wasn't always like this.

8:22 PM, January 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you on this one. Chandler and Monica were my favorite characters in ‘Friends’ and I almost threw a party when they hooked up. Then, he became a nice boyfriend, which made me happy for Monica. But for us, fun-o-meter swooshed down!!
Even “Everybody Loves Raymond” has Ray’s bro as a raging looser.

And, which is this Hindi comedy you mention?

10:48 PM, January 09, 2006  
Blogger Arun said...

Exactly! I was wondering which famous comedy I'd forgotten. The Hindi comedy I'm thinking of might've been called No Problem or something. Used to air on the late night slot a long time ago. My parents wouldn't let me watch it (what with the sexually charged material and everything) but it was the only reasonably good thing on before Star Trek, so there.

Not many people would remember it though. Think it was pulled after two seasons or something.

7:46 AM, January 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never seen a better bitter comedian than Cartman :)

And OMG Anupma doesn't like Joey? :))

And ur dear friend Sam Sharma always drives high beam in his maruti.

4:46 AM, January 11, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

in my experience, Sam is not a driver made for delhi roads ;) i am surprised he manages to travel across delhi two times daily for his office ;)

7:22 AM, January 13, 2006  
Blogger Arun said...

Agreed pun23. Cartman Rules! Cheesypoof eating, jammy busting, raging, vile and bitter fun engine. Those who think otherwise should go speak to Scott Tenorman.

And bush bush, you're so wrong. You just have to take a ride with him on a two wheeler two find out. The guy refuses to shift into neutral (This is pre-emptive. Shut up pun23!). On the other hand, he's much better than some of my rickshaw puller hating bretheren ;)

A

8:35 AM, January 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When did anyone ever take a ride with me on a 2 wheeler?
And I drive on high beam in areas with indufficient light. I'm allowed to do that, dammit.

4:01 AM, January 19, 2006  
Blogger Arun said...

Well I did. On my scooter and your, you know, "bike". I can tell you were riled up when you did this :) You misspelt insufficient. Ha! Mr. dictionary and thesarus!

5:02 AM, January 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home