Thursday, September 16, 2004

On Contentment

A few days ago, me and a friend got to discussing what we'd do if we won/were given Rs. 5 crore (close to a million dollars). Him and me were of the opinion that we'd have the money deposited in a bank, give up our jobs, and live comfortably on the interest for the rest of our days doing whatever we liked, but we'd never work for money again. So no jobs. At the time, it seemed to me to be the only thing to do in such a situation, but we still thought it would be interesting to find out if others agreed with our plan.

So, throughout the day we asked whoever we met what they'd do with this much money (remember, 5 crore in India lasts a LOT longer than a million dollars in the US). The answers we got varied from people wanting to start their own business to others wanting to continue in their current jobs. This even included those who profess to hate their jobs or even working. That set me thinking upon the subject of contentment. How much money would be enough for somebody to give up selling themselves (or their services) commercially? And does it have to be money? In other words, what would it take for you to stop working for money? My answer's a million dollars, because thats enough for me. It would buy everything I need for me to live comfortably. What's yours?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not think I will quit working if I hit a jackpot and turn rich overnight. Besides going on a string of vacations, buying a convertible (don’t ask where would I drive it!) and a cottage by some beach in Goa, I would quit my 9-to-5 job and take up freelance work. Cannot quit working but sure can ease up things.

~Anupma

5:18 AM, September 17, 2004  
Blogger sam said...

I'd really stop working, or working towards something, after I have created something I think is of value to lots of other people. Sure, I'd like oodles of money for that too. :D

12:57 AM, September 18, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A million dollars is enough for me too. I'd continue to work even after I got rich, cause after all I'd have to do something, cant sit around and do nothing!.

Anand

2:53 AM, September 18, 2004  
Blogger Arun said...

Exactly my point. The question was: How much would it take for you to stop working FOR money? So, how much would it be?

6:13 AM, September 18, 2004  
Blogger Unknown said...

well, i don't do much work without a million dollar in my kitty, so it wont matter much to me. other than that i will get myself the 29 inchi apple da plasma monitor and a g5 with lot other gizmos and do what i do now... blogging (??)

10:25 PM, September 19, 2004  
Blogger Arun said...

you, my friend, are living the life I'd like to! Doing nothing but browsing the net and critiquing other people's work all day. Not sure critiquing is a word though, but it does sound better than criticizing.

9:25 AM, September 20, 2004  
Blogger Unknown said...

so u are indeed paying for my beer at our next meetup. rigth? :D

10:27 AM, September 20, 2004  
Blogger Arun said...

Lets just all head for Munich and get drunk silly on beer! I hear Oktoberfest just started. Nice layout on the blog Bud.

9:37 AM, September 21, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exactly my point. The question was: How much would it take for you to stop working FOR money? So, how much would it be? I already answered that!, a million dollars in my bank and I'd stop working for money. When I say I'd never stop working I mean I continue to do stuff that I've always wanted to do. Maybe try my hand at a vocation that I wouldnt give a shot because of financial reasons. Frankly even if I had all the money in the world I wouldnt sit on my ass doing nothing.

10:23 PM, September 28, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home